Pages

Saturday 1 October 2011

Words in the dust...

We had missed the beauty of that twilight.
The twilight of mystical colours and earthly hopes.
The raucous birds had hovered over the river Brahmaputra.
And sunset had lingered on the sky like an old confused person.
I had waited at the same place, alone and forlorn.
And the dying light had wrapped around me, softly,
like my favourite pashmina shawl... like a shroud.
I saw the breathless wind stop its game and rest
in the dry winter grasses and dusty benches.

And sometimes the shadows of the evening trees whispered about some tale
Where hearts had met in the fields drenched with magnesium moonlight.
When love and desires had whirled and swirled in a hot sultry night.
And a Midas hand had turned life into a dream and the dreams so alive.

But tales like this fit only in a fictional story
where things always end happily.
For love, if that is its name, was crushed under the feet along with the dry leaves that day.
And the promise of “walking together come what may” was left unsaid.
And the defeated sun had yielded to a pall of thick darkness.

You had already left, left to be someone else’s.
And now I know I will miss the beauty of all the twilights.

  
(Published in The Assam Tribune as a series of poems titled Melancholy Moods)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's one sad truth in life I've found
While journeying east and west -
The only folks we really wound
Are those we love the best.
We flatter those we scarcely know,
We please the fleeting guest,
And deal full many a thoughtless blow
To those who love us best.......

Anjali Tirkey said...

Beautiful and meaningful lines....Anonymous.
Time stopped a while to let me think about this...this aspect of us.

Anjali

Anonymous said...

I am glad that these lines made you think,these were not my lines,but they do convey a very meaningful thought....hence shared. I love your write ups very much,hope you continue your love-affair with words like this.....will be waiting eagerly for your next piece...

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. ~Anton Chekhov

gabriel said...

There is a feeling
A feeling that I never felt before
Someone said its love

Is love so painful?
Is love so harsh?

Yet we love to run after love
The Pain
The Pain of DESERTION
desertion of love
We still love
Because we love even
the pain of desertion of Love

Happy writing Anjali

Regards
Gabriel

suman arvind said...

the beauty of twilight is etched in your heart
the togetherness with word.... is your destiny
the beauty of love ....is all over you
not a fiction....not a fairy tale....
rather a true you.....a midas touch to u... given by the word .....making your existence substantial....lot of love ...keep writing

Anjali Tirkey said...

Thanks Gabriel

Thanks Suman Arvind.....it is nice to be encouraged. :)

Anjali

Manuj Mehta said...

what a rendition! i can feel the moment, the need of that someone.

had waited at the same place, alone and forlorn.
And the dying light had wrapped around me, softly,
like my favourite pashmina shawl... like a shroud.
I saw the breathless wind stop its game and rest
in the dry winter grasses and dusty benches.


wonderful.

Post a Comment